XL-80 laser system
The Renishaw XL-80 laser interferometer offers the ultimate in high performance measurement and calibration for motion systems, including CMMs and machine tools.
Improve your business performance with XL-80
Fast, accurate and extremely portable, it is no surprise the XL-80 system is the best selling calibration laser. Together with advanced software solutions and superior performance, the XL-80 can significantly improve your business performance.
Renishaw has been designing, manufacturing and supplying laser systems for over 25 years. The XL-80 builds on that experience to deliver a real advance in system performance and operational benefits for users.
Accuracy and dynamic performance
Linear measurement accuracy is an assured ±0.5 ppm thanks to a precision stabilised laser source and accurate environmental compensation. Readings can be taken at up to 50 kHz, with a maximum linear measurement speed of 4 m/s and a linear resolution of 1 nm, even at maximum speed. All measurement options (not just linear) are based on interferometric measurements, giving confidence in the accuracy of the data recorded.
Ease of use
The XL-80 is quick and easy to set-up and use, reducing waiting time and increasing available measurement time, whilst still retaining the accuracy benefits of a pure interferometry based system.
Both the laser and compensator connect to a PC via USB so there is no separate interface required and no complicated set-up to worry about.
Quality of design, build and technical support are Renishaw’s hallmarks. State of the art facilities and quality assured production that’s vital whether you’re dealing in microinches or nanometres. A standard 3 year warranty is evidence of our commitment to you, alongside a worldwide support network.
The size of the XL-80 laser and XC-80 compensator means that a complete linear system can fit into a ‘wheelie-case’ and weighs only 12 kg. Add the tripod, in its own fabric case and you have a truly portable solution to machine metrology.
XL-80 laser system overview
Key XL system components are a compact laser head (XL-80), an independent environmental compensator system (XC-80) and a comprehensive and powerful software suite. Together with the measurement optics, they form a highly accurate measurement and analysis system. All components can be stored and transported in one of the optional custom cases.
XL-80 laser unit
The XL-80 laser produces an extremely stable laser beam, with a wavelength that is traceable back to national and international standards.
Features and benefits
- Laser frequency accuracy ±0.05 ppm (parts per million) over 3 years is achieved by thermal control of the laser tube’s length to within nanometres.
- Linear measurement accuracy ±0.5 ppm over the whole environmental range ie, from 0 ºC – 40 ºC (32 ºF – 104 ºF) and 650 mbar – 1150 mbar. Readings can be taken at up to 50 kHz, with a maximum linear measurement speed of 4 m/s and a linear resolution of 1 nm; even at maximum speed.
- Integrated USB means there is no requirement for a separate laser-to-PC interface.
- LED status lights indicate the laser status and signal strength, providing a convenient alternative to the software’s “on-screen” indicators.
- Switchable between standard (40 m) and long (80 m) range modes.
- Analogue I/O port allows for analogue signal output and a trigger signal input.
- Warm-up time is less than 6 minutes.
- External, switch mode power supply ensures 90 V – 264 V flexibility in input voltage.
- CARTO software allows measurement of linear, angular, rotary axis, straightness and squareness. For other measurement modes LaserXL is required.